top of page
Duntulm Castle was built in the 14th and 15th centuries, when the area was subject to feuds between the rival MacLeod and Macdonald clans.
The defences were improved in the 16th century, and by the early 17th century the MacDonalds had finally gained the upper hand in the area.
In 1618 the Privy Council and Sir Donald MacDonald of Sleat, "Donald Gorm Og", the 9th chief, signed a charter, requiring him to repair Duntulm. This was done, and a second tower was added.
Around 1650, the castle's importance peaked, when further improvements were made, and a rectangular structure or house was built within the wall.
Around 1732 the castle was abandoned, when Sir Alexander MacDonald built a new residence, Monkstadt House, 5 miles (8.0 km) to the south, robbing much of the castle's stone as building material.
bottom of page